I would like to request critique for this piece of work. I like the concept, but I am really not happy with the result. If you could let me know what doesn’t work and why, how you think this could be improved, what you think of the concept, and ideas on how to approach this differently. I am going to re-shoot this image so that it can be a part of a larger body of work that I am producing about eating disorders. Many thanks for those that are able to provide critique.
I find that the image is too flat, laying down on the back is probably OK, but I believe that I should work with models of several sizes so that the clothes are not flat on the floor, but have some life to them. I’m not comfortable with the legs and the upper torso probably needs to be included.
To create a feature image for this post I have cropped centrally and I prefer this version. What do you think?
Not perfect but if I were to include the chest it would help I think.
This has taken me a long time to create and the reason for this has been my lack of insight in the shooting and developing process. The individual photos of clothing were taken laying flat on the floor. Although I used a tripod I didnt mark a grid of where the clothing should be which meant making use of the telephoto for some and not for others. Some of the clothes were larger and also out of position. This made developing difficult because I had to both resize and warp certain items.
Shooting on a carpet with a similar tonal range – what a nightmare that created for me with Photoshop. The quick selection tool and the magnetic lassoo tool were both ineffective because I had shot without an opposing or white background. They both ripped the edges to pieces. Next I tried the background eraser tool, and being a bit of a perfectionist I worked in fine detail around the edges, which was a little over the top and took a long time to complete for ten layers (each item of clothing, face, left arm, right arm etc were all individual layers). My lack of knowledge in relaation to the background eraser was non existent and I onle researched how to make the most of it on the last layer.
The positives have been-
- valuing my idea whilst knowing I need feedback on how I can improve upon what I have made.
- Creating a piece of work with the knowledge that it was going to need to be re-worked – a new way forward for me, allowing uncertainty but progressing anyway.
- Learning how to use the background eraser.
- Understanding about the need for contasting backgrounds and grids for laying out each photo in the same space.
- Continuing to take photos for upcoming learning exercises, and remaining focused on getting this piece ready for feedback.
Certainly not my best piece of work, but with your feedback who knows what the future holds.
Although the brief for this exercise asks us to produce a tryptich (which I’ve previously done for this exercise – here), I wanted to push the limits to explore documenting change by producing one image. Eating disorders are something that I’m exploring with photography and will continue to do so. It a theme thats dear to my heart, and I believe that the physical and emotional changes can be documented in one photo with consideration, time, practice and your critique.