I’m going to stay with supportive friends over the holiday period. I’m feeling excited to be spending time with them again.
However, I’m very anxious about changes in my routine and having different foods for lunch and dinner. My breakfast and snacks will remain the same.
What can I do to stay safe?
- Attend the online mutual aid groups that are working for me
- Stay in telephone, WhatsApp and email contact with others in recovery
- Be honest with my friends if I am struggling
- Prepare lunch and snacks to take out with me – I can’t choose food in the community if I’m hungry, it panics me
- Read recovery literature
- Focus on this meal. The only meal I can eat is the one in front of me
- Expect emotional discomfort – it’s OK to feel
I’ve also discovered that a recovery group called anorexic and bulimic anonymous have a 24 hour meeting that I can pop into for as long or short a time as I want to. anyone with a desire to stop unhealthy eating practices can attend. It’s from 10pm (EST) on Christmas eve till 10pm (EST) Christmas day. It’s on zoom and the meeting code is 862 815 9185.
I’ll also be in touch with my nutritionist/therapist, I speak with him on Christmas eve. The friends I am staying with are incredibly laid back, and they are not concerned whether I eat from my plan or eat with them. So if being flexible, and eating with them isn’t right then I can revert to my plan.
Wishing all a happy Christmas.
United States Of America